Sunday 3 October 2010

IT'S MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR.

No sooner had i entered the chapel than when my eyes raced towards the large white screen in the front that occasionally is used to convey messages to be delivered and the songs to be sang as well as part of the scripture readings of the service,i left my gaze there for a while and what i saw was beyond a fresh wave of joy to my heart,it was a theme about one of the most under looked virtues in life,contentment and spiritual contentment to be precise.
The chaplain in his definition of contentment emphasized the desire to enjoy Christ and the things of God without being mindful of the other people or the world.and that God invites us to  give him all our heart desires and hopes and expects us to sit back and relax as we wait for HIM to do wonders for us.
 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."-Hebrews 13:5
 As i tried to ponder about the wonderful things the Lord has done for me with out number,i couldn't help but count myself blessed for many people would even have wished to have a fraction of the blessings i have so far received to no vain,therefore in an attempt to offer my heart felt appreciation to the Almighty God,the provider of all our needs,i remembered the zeal with which saint peter wrote while in a prison cell 
 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."-Philippians 4:11
I have therefore thought to myself that contentment is a virtue so dearly wanting amongst the human race,i imagined these to be one of the few things that will help me achieve contentment to it's fullest.
I have learnt to enjoy the simple things on earth,long before i had great admiration for people i could see driving around in cars,carrying state of the art gadgets and expensively appareled and i did learnt that instead of wanting to buy and acquire those expensive things,i rather enjoy cheap things i could afford,(it's said enough "a bird in the hand is worthy two in the bush")like participating in conversations  with other people,Spending time outdoors. Watching a movie or playing board games and pool,These things don’t cost much, and they are awesome.

I have taken time to appreciate my life, often times i reflect on my life, and all the good things in it, on a regular basis. I do this when i wake up in the morning,or when I'm at work, or when I'm going out to bed.

I remind my self. often times i find myself unhappy with someone,and i try so hard to change them,until i hit a dead end! i have realized that it's fundamental that you try to be happy with that person for who they are.and appreciate the good things about them,the reasons as to why i love them 

I have Counted the entire basket of blessings some days when i really get enraged and unhappy with something, or with what i have dearly lacked,i take a moment to count all the good things my life,which are innumerable and confide in the fact that more are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment